The Museum


The Museum:

The 1838 Marion Kennedy King property, located at the corner of Main and Water Streets in Allensville, PA, became the permanent location for the Kishacoquillas Valley Historical Society in April 1991. Along with the purchase of the Kennedy home came its rich history as the General Wayne Hotel, stagecoach stop, tavern, polling place, doctor’s office, post office, and ice cream parlor. All of these factors were important in their own way in contributing to the development of the village of Allensville.

The museum sits on a tract of land that was part of the Sharron Tract granted to Andrew Montour for services rendered at the grand council with the Indians at Easton, Pennsylvania in 1758. The survey was returned on May 19, 1767, and then became the property of Reverend Richard Peters. Upon his death, the Sharron tract was sold to Benjamin Chew in 1785. He then sold the tract to John and Jacob King, brothers and farmers from Lancaster County, for the sum of 10,000 pounds. John King, not satisfied with the wooded area, sold his share to Jacob and returned to Lancaster County. Jacob moved into an old log house near a rippling brook on this property. The rippling brook continues to flow approximately forty feet to the east side on the museum today but the location of the log house is unknown.

The museum is a surviving example of a Pre-Railroad I-house. The Greek Revival architectural style that characterize the property, remains both on the interior and exterior of the building today. This includes the tongue and groove lap siding, the hand forged metal hardware, hand hewn rafters, and the pine wood floors. A feeling of nostalgia for a bygone era is evident in this well-preserved local landmark, where its past is being kept alive as it continues to serve the public as a museum.

Since its beginning the Society has been collecting local artifacts from Amish, Mennonite, Scots-Irish, and German ancestry. There are eight rooms in the museum each featuring different collections. These artifacts are artistically displayed throughout the museum. Two of our featured artists are Isaac Peight, who by trade was a carpenter and taxidermist but was a natural born artist as evidenced in his work on display at the museum. Samuel L. Plank, an Amish farmer, is noted for his folk art, especially his painting on his Salt Boxes and his watercolor bookplates. He is also noted for his hand carved butter prints on which he carved his signature flowers and birds. Other items of interest include Indian arrowheads, an Indian Paint Pot, and an Indian Peace Pipe found on the Sam Detweiler farm located near the Huntingdon County line. Also on display is a circa 1770-1780 Chippendale Desk donated by James J. Allison in memory or James H. and Hazel E. Allison.

Museum Collections:

Since it’s beginning the Society has been collecting local artifacts from Amish, Mennonite, Scots-Irish, and German ancestry. There are 9 rooms in the museum each featuring different collections listed below with a few examples of items in each collection.

The Westover Room

Kish Valley Railroad Items

Local Indian Artifacts

Items of Dr. John Metz

Works of Isaac Peight

Allensville Post Office Front

Plank Room:

Local Photographs

Kennedy Room( Bedroom)

Local Walnut Cradle

Rope Bed

Nebraska Amish Clothing

Gibboney Room(Clothing)

Vintage Clothing

Gibboney  Mill Blanket

Jenny Linn Rope Bed

Isaac Peight Nightstand

Peight Room(Kitchen Items)

Samuel Plank Saltbox &

   Butter molds

Book Plates of Samuel Plank

Hertzler & Zook Washing

Machines

PA Corner Cupboard

Miscellaneous Kitchen items

Hazlett Room (Businesses)

Ka-Vee Dairy Items

Taylors IGA Items

Dr. S.M. Hazlett’s Medical

Items

General Wayne Room     

(Hallway)

Pew from the 1st Presbyterian

Church on Church Lane,

Whitehall, circa 1830

Allison Room( Parlor)

Dr. Silas Hazlett Items

Jacob Dachenbach’s

Grandfather’s Clock

Chippendale Walnut Secretary

Desk circa 1770

Huey Room(Women’s Arts)

Local  Handmade Quilts

Quilt Frames

Isaac Peight Women’s Desk

Spinning Wheels

Fleming Room (Church)

Allensville Presyterian Church

Altar and High Backed Chairs

St. Paul’s Lutheran Church

1863 Stained Glass Doors

Chester Room(School Items)

School Banners

Local Band items

Baseball Uniforms

School Memorabilia

Two of our featured artists are Isaac Peight, who by trade was a carpenter and taxidermist but was a natural born artist as evidenced in his work on display at the museum. Samuel L. Plank, an Amish farmer, is noted for his folk art, especially his painting on his Salt Boxes and his watercolor bookplates. He is also noted for his hand carved butter prints on which he carved his signature flowers and birds. Other items of interest include Indian arrowheads, an Indian Paint Pot, and an Indian Peace Pipe found on the Sam Detweiler farm located near the Huntingdon County line. Also on display is a circa 1770-1780 Chippendale Desk donated by James J. Allison in memory or James H. and Hazel E. Allison.